Wednesday, September 26, 2007

No Wrong Place to Teach

When I think about having a Bible study with my children my first reaction is always that we will never find time when we are all there to do this on a regular basis. Well, a verse in Deuteronomy has inspired me to think outside the planner.

In Deuteronomy Chapter 11, Moses is telling his people how to faithfully obey the commandments of the Lord. Verse 19 (NIV) says, "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."

Wow, I am always amazed at how suitable the Bible is for people in any time. What other book is so timeless? There is none. Sure we now drive along the road but as for the rest there isn't anything that doesn't directly apply to our lives.

The challenge that I made for myself and that may be relevant in your life is this, I want to use the times of day that are usually considered for getting ready or getting to someplace to teach the word of the Lord to my family.

Here are some easy ways that this can be done (even while your hands are full!!)
  • Listen to the Bible on tape or CD in the car.
  • Have your children who can read, read to the rest of the family from the Bible.
  • Make memory verse flash cards for yourself and your children and practice them in the car.
  • Instead of reading library or school books before bed time pull out the Bible and tell a story from there.
  • Sing your favorite worship songs as you get ready for your day or ready for bed.

These are just a few!!

There is no wrong place to teach the Word to your family. I pray that God interrupt my thoughts with ideas to better serve Him. Thinking about and talking to God are the only activities that will never make your schedule unbearable. No matter how busy I am it all seems easier to cope with if I have more God in my thoughts.

With God NOTHING is impossible!

No comments: