Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Bright Thought for a Bad Day at Work!

I don’t know too many people who can say that they love their job. On the other hand, I can think of many who say that they hate their’s. I too have had jobs that I despised but am now at a fortunate time in my life where I am doing a job that I love, teaching and learning. Praise God! Through a long process God has shown me that this is where my gifts are and also where my heart lies.

I have had many jobs in the past, as I always find myself working at least three of them at time, so I have had hundreds of co-workers. Some people are unhappy 90% of the time and others, although in my experience very few, are content 90% of the time even if the task at hand is unpleasant. I lie somewhere in the middle of these. I am cheery and fun most of the time but I have a fiery temper so once it’s flared up I must admit that I can be one of those unhappy people too.

Well, for those of you that suffer from any sort of dislike or bad attitude at work, have I got the passage for you (and me!).

Colossians 3:23-25 (NIV) says:
“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong, and there is no favoritism.”

This passage gives me peace. The next time I let a manager, co-worker, or boss start pushing my buttons I am going to try and remember that God is my real boss. If the person is doing something wrong it’s not up to me to get mad about it. As long as I am trying to be more Christ-like every day the awful things that humans can do to mess up interactions at work won’t bother me so much.

Having a fiery temper, I like to find thoughts, ideas, and processes that I can train myself to use to defuse my anger when it flares. Breathing is all good but you have to calm down first. If I use tools like the one that Paul gives us in his letter I will not only help myself in the workplace but also help secure an extraordinarily lovely place for myself in heaven! It doesn’t get any better than that!

1 comment:

J.D. Griffith said...

Dear Rachel,
Glad to finally meet up with you, as partners on our mission from the Lord. I will enjoy reading your messages. Don't we serve an awesome God? I sincerely hope that one day we can meet face to face...although Iowa is far away from West Virginia.
Who knows what God has in store for us tomorrow?
In Him, your sister in Christ, a fellow sojourner, Jolene