Monday, February 11, 2008

"Mom, You Have Wrinkles"

One thing about stressing honesty with your children is that you will get it in the good times and the bad. I can count on my kids to tell me the absolute truth about my weight, my looks, and yes, even my skin.

The other day my youngest was sitting on my lap putting in my earings when she looked at my face, got a puzzled look on her face and said, "Mom, you have wrinkles."
I am just over thirty so this is a new one for me. I knew they were there but I am more used to dealing with the fat issue not the wrinkles issue. Usually, I don't mind getting older because there is an element of respect that comes with age but the whole body falling apart thing bothers me. I want to live to see 100 so I think it's only right that I should not have to show signs of wear and tear until I am at least 50, right? Hah!!

As it turns out people in Jesus's time had these same issues and there is a passage that helps me deal with this aging body. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says, "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

How perfect is that? So, put this little ditty in your scripture arsenal and the next time your friend offers to take you to get your mustache waxed you can whip it out and say, "Maybe next time."

Have a wonderful week!!

No comments: